We provides healthy Dachshund pups info@miniaturedachshundpups.com
Garden Poisons To Watch Out For!

Garden Poisons To Watch Out For!

Garden poisons for your puppy

Spending time in the garden with our four-legged friends is something we all enjoy. Your garden with all its exciting sights and smells is a delightful adventure for your inquisitive puppy or dog but as you venture outdoors this summer, be mindful that your garden may be harbouring some hidden dangers.

There are a surprisingly long list of flowers and plants that may pose either a mild, or in some cases severe, danger to your puppy or dog.

Commonly found threats to dogs in your garden:

  • Acorns – Symptoms range from vomiting and diarrhoea to kidney or liver problems.
  • Compost foods e.g. mouldy bread. The toxins may cause dogs to develop muscle tremors. Keep composted food out of their reach.
  • Conkers – Apart from posing a choking hazard, conkers cause sickness and tummy upset.
  • Christmas Trees – Needles are sharp and dangerous. They cause vomiting if swallowed.
  • Holly and Mistletoe – Not only are the spiky leaves potentially dangerous, and the berries can also cause a severe upset tummy.
  • Ivy – Symptoms can include an upset tummy if eaten or sever irritation if there is skin contact.  
  • Fungi (wild mushrooms and toadstools) – Symptoms range from mild stomach upset to fits and liver and kidney failure. If you suspect your dogs is having a reaction, take them to see a vet immediately and where possible, along a sample of the fungi carefully wrapped in a paper bag if possible.
  • Fruits – The seeds and stones of apricots, nectarines, damsons, cherries, plums, and peaches can be toxic if shewed and swallowed. The stones contain cyanogenic glycosides which can result in some immediate reactions, including frothing at the mouth, breathing difficulties, large pupils, and even sudden death.
  • Spring bulbs e.g. daffodils and spring crocuses – The most likely cause of poisoning is where dogs eat the bulbs planted in the autumn or in the spring when they start to flower.
  • Slugs and snails – Can cause lung worm.
  • Grass seeds – Can burrow deep into the skin resulting in pain, swelling and infection.
  • Fertilisers – Beware of weed killers, fertilisers and slug and snail repellents which may contain substances which are harmful to your puppy or dog. Always, check labels very carefully and buy only the pet-friendly products on the market.
  • Toads – Toads secrete a venom from the glands on their skin which is poisonous to your puppy or dog when they bite them or pick them up. Signs of poisoning may vary from pain around your dog’s mouth to anxiety, breathing problems, vomiting and fits.

View a full list of poisons that could be lurking in your garden.

If you have any concerns about your dog’s health, contact your vet for advice.

Ready to find your new Forever Puppy? See dogs available for sale near you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *